Handbrake Adjustment - Help

cro142

• Member For: 20y 11m 17d

I need to adjust the handbrake on my XR6T sedan, but when I went looking I could not find where to do it !!

Its a different system than I'm used to, so could someone please tell me where the adjustment is located ??

Thanks.

• 00-XRG / 006-FPV
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 10m 17d

Hey chief,

there's a bodgy way to adjust it, and there's the right way to adjust it.

Under the car you'll find the park brake cable, where it splits into 2 you "should" be able to adjust it there. But this won't last for long. The right way is to pull off rear wheels, pull off rear brake discs and inside the rear disc you'll see a drum kind of setup for the park brake.

that's my understanding of it anyways, haven't done it on my car yet, but have to pretty soon.

Adam

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 8m 9d

Close Goose,

You do not need to pull the wheels off.

On the brake backing plate you will find a small rubber grommet. You need to remove this and inside there is the handbrake ajustment wheel. It is a toothed wheel that requres a special tool to ajust. It looks like a bent flat blade screwdriver....and its called a handbrake ajuster tool, about $10 from an auto store :spoton:

I would recommend that you get it done professionally as it can be a b**ch of a job without a hoist. You also need to know how to move the ajuster and how far to ajust to be right. I have never done a XR one, but done many in my time and some are easy, but from my understanding, the XR one sux.

It is a job best left to aprentices

• Member For: 21y 2m 18d
Close Goose,

On the brake backing plate you will find a small rubber grommet.  You need to remove this and inside there is the handbrake ajustment wheel.  It is a toothed wheel that requres a special tool to ajust.  It looks like a bent flat blade screwdriver....and its called a handbrake ajuster tool, about $10 from an auto store :spoton:

I would recommend that you get it done professionally as it can be a b**ch of a job without a hoist.  You also need to know how to move the ajuster and how far to ajust to be right.  I have never done a XR one, but done many in my time and some are easy, but from my understanding, the XR one sux.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

isnt that the method for a drum brake

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 8m 9d

The XR's have a small drum for the handbrake as far as I know. :spoton:

I am not 100% as I have never done anything on the rear of my car.

If anyone has done this job before, please correct me if I am wrong :spoton:

• 00-XRG / 006-FPV
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 10m 17d

Yeah it's definately a drum assembly, that's why they suck so much. My old EB, when you pulled the handbrake it squeezed the rear calipers. Much nicer. Don't think it ever needed adjusting.

• Member For: 21y 6m 1d

When I dropped past my dealer recently, they confirmed it does require to take the rear wheels off to do it properly.

No idea if there is another temporary way to do minor adjustments, but it would seem that whoever mentioned the need to take the rear wheels off is correct.

• Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 22y 13d
Close Goose,

On the brake backing plate you will find a small rubber grommet.  You need to remove this and inside there is the handbrake ajustment wheel.  It is a toothed wheel that requres a special tool to ajust.  It looks like a bent flat blade screwdriver....and its called a handbrake ajuster tool, about $10 from an auto store :spoton:

I would recommend that you get it done professionally as it can be a b**ch of a job without a hoist.  You also need to know how to move the ajuster and how far to ajust to be right.  I have never done a XR one, but done many in my time and some are easy, but from my understanding, the XR one sux.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Close Zap,

The grommet is in the front face of the disc/drum hub and you DO have to take the wheels off.

But before you even try to adjust it at that point you have to set the inside adjuster at the handbrake lever to be right off ie. undo the nut right to the end of the thread.

As far as the adjustment point above the diff is concerned you can forget it as I have never been able to find a way of reaching it while the diff is in the car.

Basically it is a b!tch of a job if you aren't sure what you are doing. It is worth the dollars to get your dealer to do it if you have any doubts.

• god bless my kids
  • Member For: 20y 5m 28d

took mine into ford to do and they tryed to charge me 80 dollars ..told them to stick it