Mkii T56 6 Speed & Twin Plate Clutch

xlnt6

• Member For: 21y 5m 23d

Hi xlnt6,

How much is the Nizpro twin plate clutch setup? (if you dont mind me asking....)

Also, when you did the gearbox and clutch swapover, did you balance the flywheel/pressure plate assembly before installation?

One more qn... is the original flywheel retained? or does it need to be changed?

Thanks!

Ross

Edited by Ford_Power

• Member For: 21y 1m 6d

Thanks Robin, Whish I had been able to wait for the Ford version would have been alot better than the one I got.

Good to see its worked out well for you, looks very neat

Frank

Turbo4LT,

It drives like a dream (so far !!!) only done about 500km. I do 800km to 1000km a week, so I'll soon find out if there are any dramas. I saw several posts about T56 sticky shifts, etc, but that may be due to the OEM clutch (???), so far that problem hasn't occurred for me.

Robin.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• Wanabe mechanical engineer
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7d

Is it strengthened in any way? What sort of power will this box handle before it craps itself?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 11m 22d

Ford_Power,

The Nizpro set-up is about $1k, and it replaces the complete OEM clutch and flywheel assembly. It comes ready to bolt-in, so I assume the clutch / flywheel combo has been balanced in shop before hand (if required ??).

Turbo4Lt,

I'm happy so far. With the OEM gearbox it's all a bolt in, which is what I liked.

Lawsy,

It's a Ford T56 which is "actually" a Tremec box. Ford are putting it behind a Typhoon, rated at 550 NM. I'm pretty sure it can handle a lot more than that, at least the 750NM or so my XR6T is making. So I don't know if any more strengthing is required above that. I put it in to address my power/torque requirements, and there's nothing much more available that will handle the torque and at the same time be a cost effective / bolt in proposition.

Robin.

• Member For: 20y 2d

T56 is pretty strong, the official rating is a bit lower, but unofficially 800nm is no problem. There are plenty of TT LS1's and turbo mustangs and vipers that use it running 9's and 10's and they don't ever seem to complain of blowing them up.

• Wanabe mechanical engineer
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7d
T56 is pretty strong, the official rating is a bit lower, but unofficially 800nm is no problem. There are plenty of TT LS1's and turbo mustangs and vipers that use it running 9's and 10's and they don't ever seem to complain of blowing them up.

Yeah, I've heard of a few hipo cars running this box as well, but most of the really quick guys have custom ratios with much tougher internals. It takes well over 1000hp to push 1.7tonnes into the 9's. It would really supprise me if this box could handle that unmodified.

• 9 months later...
  • No V6 for me thanks!!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 1m 18d

Parts Required: Ford T56 MkII gearbox (Approx $6k), BA XR8 Gearbox Yoke ($190), MkII BA Gearbox Crossmember ($180), a connector to fit to the reverse lock-out solenoid connection.

Thanks for the info I should have my t56(possible the last in OZ the way he was talking) through the week but just 1 question why the xr8 gearbox yoke when there is BA & BF xr6t yokes available?

Either way I ordered the xr8 yoke on your advice.

Stuff Chrismas I'm counting sleeps till I can do more than 1000 km before I need to rebuild my t5.... :spoton::sick::pooh:

Muzza

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 11m 22d
Thanks for the info I should have my t56(possible the last in OZ the way he was talking) through the week but just 1 question why the xr8 gearbox yoke when there is BA & BF xr6t yokes available?

Hi Muzza,

At the time of this install the BF wasn't released and the Mk II BA parts were next to unobtainable. Now I would just go in and ask for a BA MkII or BF yoke, like you said. Anyway you should be fine either way.

Have fun.

Robin.

• Member of team Kittens
  • Member For: 20y 7m

Just as a point of reference, I could not get a BA xr6t yolk only - had to buy the complete tailshaft. With the BA V8 ute the yolk is sold seperately - that is probably why - BF xr6t yolk SHOULD work fine as well.

With the crossmember you need the rubber mounting as well (seperate part) - and if you want the correct gear pattern on it a shift knob.

Have you paid for the gbox yet?

I also have the same clutch as robin (the Mal wood option 3) which is going great for me as well. Provided you don't want to do lots of drags then this is a great clutch (being organic you run the risk of flaring if it gets hot).

Cheers,

Ben.

• 2 years later...