Speeding Penalties - Not About Revenue Raising

aniken

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 6d
For a 60 zone, the lowest speed written out would be a 69 in a 60 zone, and again that would only be written out for a hoodlum, druggie, thief, bigmouth or recidivist traffic offender.

You would have to be doing a decent speed in excess of the posted limit to get a ticket.

One think I have noticed over the past year or so is that I see very few Radar cars on roads like the M4 anymore.

The number of times I have cars go past me at incredible high speed on roads in Sydney western suburbs is astounding. I think the attitude of drivers it that they don't care how many demerit points the fine is, cause they feel that they will never get caught.

So there is no concept of "Slowing" down in these drivers minds as they won't get caught.

Lets see the Carr Government get more Police out on the road and enforce the Speeding laws they have now, rather than increase the demerit points hoping that will "scare" people into driving slower. You need to see those "White Pointers" rolling up and down the Highways to drive the message home that you will get caught, its only a matter of time. Let see a real campain out there targeting drivers doing 20 or 30+Km/h... and a good place to start would be the 80Km/h raodworks area on the M4. No-one gives a toss about the road works limits and scream though there at 110+.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Bionic Man - half man-half titanium
  • Member For: 21y 5m 13d
For a 60 zone, the lowest speed written out would be a 69 in a 60 zone, and again that would only be written out for a hoodlum, druggie, thief, bigmouth or recidivist traffic offender.

You would have to be doing a decent speed in excess of the posted limit to get a ticket.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One think I have noticed over the past year or so is that I see very few Radar cars on roads like the M4 anymore.

The number of times I have cars go past me at incredible high speed on roads in Sydney western suburbs is astounding. I think the attitude of drivers it that they don't care how many demerit points the fine is, cause they feel that they will never get caught.

So there is no concept of "Slowing" down in these drivers minds as they won't get caught.

Lets see the Carr Government get more Police out on the road and enforce the Speeding laws they have now, rather than increase the demerit points hoping that will "scare" people into driving slower. You need to see those "White Pointers" rolling up and down the Highways to drive the message home that you will get caught, its only a matter of time. Let see a real campain out there targeting drivers doing 20 or 30+Km/h... and a good place to start would be the 80Km/h raodworks area on the M4. No-one gives a toss about the road works limits and scream though there at 110+.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

M4 is a hard place to work. The M4 is also one of he safest roads in this country.

There is NO REASON for the 80 zone on the M4....the roadworks that are being conducted are well off the road behind concrete barriers.

It is more appropriate to catch speeding motorists on roads such as Castlereagh Rd (single lane, crappy surface), major roads in Cranebrook (50kmh in residential area), Dunheved Rd major Rd linking Penrith to St Marys with high traffic and pedestrian)

Basically all a marked patrol car does on the M4 is propoganda....it is designed to make the law abiding citizen feel warm and fuzzy about the perceived attack of the problem instead of actually catching anyone.

A Police cycle is much more suited to a multi lane highway such as the M4 because at least the "Keep Left unless Overtaking" rule can be enforced.

• Xtreme Xalted Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 4m 17d

Hey Plonky,

It seemed like you were absent from the forum for a while.

I'd thought to myself, "Yeah, if plonky, VG Curious and others have left, its very understandable considering."

Anyway, you ain't and its good to see you back, posting with a vengance and giving us the other perspective.

Just glad you wern't around all those Nepean roads back when I was a lad terrorising all the local traffic chaps in their Mini Coopers. :w00t2:

If you know any really old traffic coppers from the district, see if any of them had known/heard about the legendary Bill (Clutch) Cameron.

• The Bionic Man - half man-half titanium
  • Member For: 21y 5m 13d
Hey Plonky,

It seemed like you were absent from the forum for a while.

I'd thought to myself, "Yeah, if plonky, VG Curious and others have left, its very understandable considering."

Anyway, you ain't and its good to see you back, posting with a vengance and giving us the other perspective.

Just glad you wern't around all those Nepean roads back when I was a lad terrorising all the local traffic chaps in their Mini Coopers. :spoton:

If you know any really old traffic coppers from the district, see if any of them had known/heard about the legendary Bill (Clutch) Cameron.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Mack

Yes I have been absent and have only returned recently.

You guessed correctly....I eventually got sick of the 'cop bashing' but something was finally done.

Good to here from you

Grant

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 6d

M4 is a hard place to work. The M4 is also one of he safest roads in this country.

There is NO REASON for the 80 zone on the M4....the roadworks that are being conducted are well off the road behind concrete barriers.

It is more appropriate to catch speeding motorists on roads such as Castlereagh Rd (single lane, crappy surface), major roads in Cranebrook (50kmh in residential area), Dunheved Rd major Rd linking Penrith to St Marys with high traffic and pedestrian)

Basically all a marked patrol car does on the M4 is propoganda....it is designed to make the law abiding citizen feel warm and fuzzy about the perceived attack of the problem instead of actually catching anyone.

A Police cycle is much more suited to a multi lane highway such as the M4 because at least the "Keep Left unless Overtaking" rule can be enforced.

Cheers,

I agree, bring back the bikes.. the Keep left thing is a real drama on the M4.

So, if there is no need for the 80KM on the M4, why is it there ?

I can agree it shouldn't be.

But we do need to catch this "Silly" speed thing (I.e. people doing more that 20-30 over the limit) before it causes everyone grief. The 3 point for 0-15km is just a joke..