Fpv, Where Is This F6 Typhoon?

Dr Z

• The Stig
  • Administrator
  • Member For: 21y 11m 14d

This thread is getting out of control. This crap will not be tolerated on this board, and members will be warned. Enough already. Keep it to the facts instead of talking crap.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 10m 24d
Why do you think that is? Clearly we all agree that if the 2 vehicles were the same price and were equally available then everyone here would own a F6. I dare you to challenge that theory.

Well those that know autos are faster wouldn't buy the F6.

A mentor of mine told me that its easier for people to feel better about themselves by bringing others down. Next time you try and bring down the F6 make a mental note and see if it really makes you feel better. :spoton:

I think there is some of this happening on both sides of the fence...

At the end of the day, the Phoon IS a XR6T. It is the SAME CAR. It just has more options. Same engine, body etc, etc, etc. It is a FPV car though, and because of this it has an air of exclusivity. 6 page threads on mine vs yours is pretty silly considering they are the same car.

The clutch issue is just a bug that will be fixed from what I can see, but I can understand how early adopters would be pissed at the whole experience if they have a problem with their clutch.

Like I said, aside from the options the only difference between the two cars is the tuning map in the ECU. It runs higher boost initially but drops off to probably the same level as the T. Because of this it can't really be slower than the T. Sure models will differ in final boost and speed, but so do they in the T.

Like some have done, you can turn the phoon into an awesome car with only 4K on top and an aps kit (no plug intended) for 300rwkw. Running the same aps kit on the T will yield LESS POWER. That's because of the options, as mention.

So given that the T is the same car as the phoon I don't see how people can be monumentally dissapointed with it. People expecting more from the car appear to have no realistic idea. If you were expecting 300rwkw, then why arent all turbo sedans pushing stupidly high boost levels on stock internals? Because they wouldn't last through warranty and would yield a loss for the manufacturers.

So, GTFOI :spoton:

• Member For: 21y 2m 8d

Geeseman,

Your summary is spot on :spoton:

I think the fact that we have a seperate Typhoon Forum is the cause of much of the T vs Phoon setimentality. Lets not forget that the F6 is really just a derivative of the XR6T.

Lets not turn this into a pissing contest.

Geeseman, maybe I got you wrong on another thread so if I did then I apologise for any animosity directed at you.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 8m

The whole point ot this thread is Fpv need to pull there socks up,not condem the F6,but unfortunately the two are related.

As for you quicksmurf, whatever can`t see any point in replying to your posts as you are just one eyed as you say you already have one.I know its hard when you have something and people tell you it`snot as good as it should be , because you have already spent the dollars.

Hypnodoc I appreciate your honest and the effort that you have gone to, to inform people about problems with the F6. in the end it is always buyer beware,do your research before you part with your hard earned cash,this is to those who are thinking of but have not yet purchased.

• Member For: 19y 10m 17d
Whatever, the proof is in the pudding .

All major magazines that have tested the F6 have said it is slower than the T,why would you bother except for the fact that it is an FPV and that doesn`t seem to

mean much anymore anyway as they have shown how useless they are.

Stang, to me the proof is yet to be in the pudding. Until people start testing the 2005 typhoon against a 2005 XR6T on the same day at the same time, I will not believe that a stock xr6T is faster than a stock typhoon.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 18d

All major magazines that have tested the F6 have said it is slower than the T,why would you bother except for the fact that it is an FPV and that doesn`t seem to

Stang, to me the proof is yet to be in the pudding. Until people start testing the 2005 typhoon against a 2005 XR6T on the same day at the same time, I will not believe that a stock xr6T is faster than a stock typhoon.

take a stock typhoon down the quarter... plenty of stok xr6T have been down the quarter already.... if the typhoon pulls a quicker quarter mile its faster... simple as that...

I think it will be neck and neck and the xr6T will stand proud next to the F6 down the quarter... it will definately not be put to shame by its supposed big brother...even if it is run down the quarter on the same day and same time as you suggested...

If I was the F6 driver I would be more worried that my pride joy could get done by its suposeddly slower little brother :spit:

none the less the F6 is sweet :spit:

• Member For: 19y 10m 17d

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

take a stock typhoon down the quarter... plenty of stok xr6T have been down the quarter already.... if the typhoon pulls a quicker quarter mile its faster... simple as that...

I think it will be neck and neck and the xr6T will stand proud next to the F6 down the quarter... it will definately not be put to shame by its supposed big brother...even if it is run down the quarter on the same day and same time as you suggested...

If I was the F6 driver I would be more worried that my pride joy could get done by its suposeddly slower little brother :spit:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are thousands of XR6T owners compared to the couple of hundred Typhoon owners. All time comparisons to date have been between the 'Best' times achieved for the XR6T and also the Typhoon. It's hardly fair to make the assumption that the XR6T is faster than the Typhoon based on this fact because there has been lack of test runs done by Typhoons.

I've also read that the earlier build XR6T may be faster than later models due to different flash used. I.e. Ford detuning the XR6T to make warranty issues easier. Just what I've read somewhere on this forum. Maybe true but maybe false, I don't know. That's why I suggested that a test should compare a Mk2 2005 XR6T and a 2005 Typhoon. As a buyer, I'm interested in times for the cars I'm actually going to buy. Not interested in buying a 2002 XR6T that MOTOR tested on a 40 degree day which achieved a 5.9 0-100km/h run.

I don't expect the Typhoon to be faster than a XR6T as figures have indicated that the Typhoon is not whopping fast. However it is not safe to say that the XR6T is faster than a Typhoon based on a 'few' test runs.

Edited by vuster

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 18d

There are thousands of XR6T owners compared to the couple of hundred Typhoon owners. All time comparisons to date have been between the 'Best' times achieved for the XR6T and also the Typhoon. It's hardly fair to make the assumption that the XR6T is faster than the Typhoon based on this fact because there has been lack of test runs done by Typhoons.

I've also read that the earlier build XR6T may be faster than later models due to different flash used. I.e. Ford detuning the XR6T to make warranty issues easier. Just what I've read somewhere on this forum. Maybe true but maybe false, I don't know. That's why I suggested that a test should compare a Mk2 2005 XR6T and a 2005 Typhoon. As a buyer, I'm interested in times for the cars I'm actually going to buy. Not interested in buying a 2002 XR6T that MOTOR tested on a 40 degree day which achieved a 5.9 0-100km/h run.

I don't expect the Typhoon to be faster than a XR6T as figures have indicated that the Typhoon is not whopping fast. However it is not safe to say that the XR6T is faster than a Typhoon based on a 'few' test runs.

I can see your point... is the xr6t tuned down because of warranty claims or because th F6 had to fit in the middle of the xr6T and the the GT??

I guess the guys driving a stock T now are not interested in what 05 T does... I think they want to know how their stock T stands up to a stock phoon?? sounds reasonable to me. If the 05 plated T is tuned down, well then ford have fcuked up again :kissmy: expect to lose more sales if this is the case.

It would be interesting know what the slowest stock T has run down the quarter?? any1 know this??

both great cars... its a pity that ford has to play games with consumers to market their products :spit:

• Member For: 20y 6m 29d

Thanks for the passionate contributions everyone.

Rather than "just accept the fact and move on" etc we can communicate to FPV our displeasure NOW so they know the market will not tolerate "tart and hype" as a pathetic substitute for "Total Performance" when they put out "Australia's next motoring icon".

This is the bottom line...

The reason for threads like this is so that FPV has an opportunity to more clearly understand why their sales are falling as fast as their torque curve after 4250RPM... "tart and hype" is NOT a long term sustainable substitute for "Total Performance". We all want FPV to enjoy a long prosperous and credible tenure, so let us help them understand that their "Total Performance" mantra should actually mean something on the streets.

If we do anything less than this, FPV may not be around long enough for us to enjoy their offerings because their lack of market and street credibility will sink them to this unsustainable business model...

Falling revenue + rising costs = no more FPV.

Apart from straight-line performance times, based on PCOTY 2004, Motor has demonstrated that Holden/HSV cars are quicker around the track than the Ford/FPV "Total Performance" hero cars, as evidenced here:

Winton lap times:

FPV F6 Typhoon: 1:46.46

Ford XR6T: 1:46.28

FPV GT: 1:45.57

Expensive Daewoo Late model camira SS: 1:45.5

HSV Clubsport R8: 1:43.50

No one should feel the need to mod their FPV so it can get close to straight-line and track performance times of a Expensive Daewoo SS. No one! For everyone that accepts "near enough is good enough" that is just one more nail in FPV's coffin.

Safe and happy driving...Dr Z. :w00t2:

• F6+300+
  • Member For: 19y 10m 12d

Dr Z,

Don’t take offence to this but:

Can you please lay OFF THE CRAONS?

It’s like reading kindergarden stuff from a 6 year old.

I’m pleased you have found the Font buttons to play with but it getting a bit over the top mate.

Sorry But it does nothing for my eye's :w00t2: