bloan

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Big Gun
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 11m 12d

I'm not trying to take the spark out of it. But aren't all lasers encrypted these days? That's why laser jammers don't work effectively anymore. I may be wrong.

Rob

• The Bionic Man - half man-half titanium
  • Member For: 21y 5m 13d

How would it work.

The laser beam is basically a light that travels at the speed of light. The speed is detected off the object it is reflecting back from. If the LIDAR is pointed at your vehicle, the operator already has your speed!

Stationary speed cameras work off an MPHOMETER. Next time you drive past one, have a look at the road surface. You will see three lines marked into the road. They are the sensors that detect you as you drive past and determine your speed/distance/time travelled over the sensors. These work in addition to the radar head mounted next to the "Flash for Cash" camera.

How can you interfere with it apart from regulalry destroying the camera boxes and the radar heads (as some civil dispobedient people are wont to do.)

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 8d

I have tried and tested a LIDAR jammer and while they are effective, the police WILL know you are jamming them. The new LIDAR units have anti jam technologies, and I think the fine if caught using a jammer is about $10,000 and the possibility of gaol as you are hindering police in executing their duties (or a similar charge) which is not a good thing.

I also saw that 5th gear show (4th time).

I am thinking about getting the new Road Angle as it has LIDAR detector built in, but its disabled for the Oz market, but can be turned on with some minor code ajustment.

As Plonky said that LIDAR is very difficult to detect as it does not splatter the siginal like radar, but you could get some scattered reflection. If a cop aims his LIDAR at you and he sees the nose of your car dip, he WILL know you have a detector, this is a $1,500 fine in NSW and will soon also include a 9 point demerit from your license. I find that watching the traffic and looking for fluro vests hiding behind trees is the best way to spot LIDAR....or just not speed in suburban areas where these device are used.

• Artificially Aspirated
  • Member For: 20y 8m 12d
Or you could just do the speed limit..? :spoton:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Always the best way to avoid a ticket. I am never in a hurry to get anywhere. Just cruise and enjoy your car. I have a friend in QLD police and I have used the LIDAR and I was amazed how far away you can get someones speed. There is no way you could see the officer with LIDAR behind a tree etc from 900-1000m away.

• Just sit back and enjoy the ride...!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 29d

Although it sounds like a nice piece of technology, it's much better for you and everyone around you NOT to speed in the first place. Common-sense folks.... :D

BTW, it's good to see a post from you Plonky. :nono:

• Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 7m 24d

Hi Plonky, Our dodgy fixed speed cameras in Victoria don't seem to have radar head next to the time over distance lines in the road. Does the radar head also give a reading to back up the lines in the road?

• F6+300+
  • Member For: 19y 10m 14d

Some useless info on:

Laser Speed Guns

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The manufacturers of Laser Speed Guns boast of certain target identification even in heavy traffic conditions. However, independent tests by a NASA scientist in the USA, suggest that Laser Speed Guns are potentially "inaccurate" in identifying the correct target under some conditions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kustom - Pro Laser 3

Laser Speed Guns emit a very narrow, intense beam of "invisible" light. The speed of light is a known constant (approximately 300,000 Km per second). Therefore, the laser speed gun calculates distance by measuring the length of time it takes for the beam to travel to a target and back to the gun. Many such readings are taken over a brief period of time to determine how fast a vehicle is traveling. The speed reading "can" be accurate under "ideal" conditions. It is "claimed" that the narrow beam makes target verification more certain than with radar. The Lasers used by enforcement authorities in Australia are made in the USA by Kustom or LTI and operate on a frequency of 904 nanometers. In the states and territories of Australia, Laser Speed Guns have replaced most hand-held radar guns for stationary "point-and-shoot" traps.

More Information about Lasers

The narrow beam (less than 1 meter at 300 meter from the laser gun) makes target identification more certain than radar under some conditions.

It also makes detection by Radar/Laser Detectors very difficult.

Halogen car headlights and driving lights reduce the range of the Laser Speed Guns.

Refraction errors can produce incorrect speed readings. Because light is refracted differently by hot air than cooler air, a spot of air rising from the roadway can confuse the laser.

Laser beams can be affected by atmospheric conditions. Speed reading range is reduced on cloudy or foggy days.

When the laser beam bounces off more than one solid object (stationary or moving) reflection errors occur, producing an incorrect speed reading.

• The Bionic Man - half man-half titanium
  • Member For: 21y 5m 13d

A valid LIDAR ticket requires a number of things. First the officer must estimate the speed of the target (this is quite easy to do once you have years of practice), secondly the check must be of the minimum time (3 seconds), the tone emitted from the instrument must be constant and the target is under constant observation during the check.

The LIDAR is easier to use (if you like just flogging law abiding taxpayers) than the mobile radar (Silver Eagle) as there are less mandatory procedures.

LIDAR is very popular in the city or congested traffic areas.

The Silver Eagle radar is not recommended fro city or congested traffic use because it is hard to get a valid check because of the mandatory requirements such as:

Estimate speed of vehicle

Release beam

Observe target speed in target window

Corellate patrol speed with checked speedometer

Minimum 3 second check

Constant tone

No vehicles within 200M BEHIND the target vehicle

and if satisfied that all of the above has been done and the speed estimation corellates with the target speed, issue the TIN.

It is easy to see why mobile radar has become the lazy mans choice of traffic enforcement!!! (the vast majority in NSW)

(If I sound bitter it is because I am)

Real traffic enforcement is going after the fundamental traffic offences such as seatbelts, phones, Stop signs, traffic lights, not using indicators, tailgating, not keeping left on multi lane roads, etc