Brake Ducts Openings

fraggle

• Yes I am too tall for my hair
  • Member For: 20y 21d

Was fitting a neon light in the lower grill section of the t today an found these brake ducts that had never had the ends cut out so I took it apon my self to cut them out not stoping at that though I might make some scoops to direct the air to the brakes I dont know it its been done before. I took of the big plastic thing but could be done on the car just easyer to work on when it was of . I made up the scoops with some flat galv sheeting a few bend a like of paint and presto . maybe people suffering from brake shudder and brake fade this might be a way to over come it .im now way an expert in brakes but feels better under hard braking was doing a good speed doesnt appear to vibrate or affect the front down force again no expert in any of these fields can post more photos if any one interested

post-5348-1104734691_thumb.jpgpost-5348-1104734943_thumb.jpgpost-5348-1104735084_thumb.jpg

• Member For: 20y 9m 28d

I have done the same thing today, made up ducts, increased the slot depth. Should be much better.

Just had DBA slotted rotors with Racebrake pads instaled, all the shudder has gone (Perfect).

Was told that not enough air was getting to rotors for cooling among other things.

Brakes now are spot on, no shimmy at speed or low down.

Supposed to have had shims fitted when machined some 5000k's ago no shims evident when brakes were pulled down, sign's of only 1 rotor machined, instaled old pads, not new when reworked by Ford. T has 30000 K's was only about 2000 K's left in the pads.

Trusting some Ford Dealers is not an option any more.

Regards

XRHP6.

• Member For: 19y 10m 17d
Was fitting a neon light in the lower grill section of the t today

post-5348-1104734691_thumb.jpgpost-5348-1104734943_thumb.jpgpost-5348-1104735084_thumb.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Be carefull or the Rice police will get you ! :spoton:

I wonder if the ducts would make a lot of difference at normal road speeds ?

Most braking is done in corners , hence usually low speeds . I could see it working well at track days though . Sure can't hurt !

• Member For: 20y 9m 26d

I have not tried this but thought that removing the two fog lamps (which always get broken anyway) would reveal a possible position for a brake duct with the spoiler already incorporating a funnel for extra air flow.

Even if most cornering and braking is at low speed, having the extra airflow would cool the brakes quicker for the next application in the fast runs between corners.

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 5m 27d
Most braking is done in corners , hence usually low speeds . I could see it working well at track days though . Sure can't hurt !

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How does that make logical sense? You should be braking before you enter the corner, otherwise you’d be more suited to a volvo, and if you are braking at low speeds how did you slow down in the first place?

Your concept makes logical sense fraggle, but not too sure on the neons.

Trent.

• Member For: 20y 9m 26d

The brakes are hottest when you finish braking, normally at a low speed, and this is when the cooling will be least effective. At a track day braking is happening at every corner so cooling between corners is useful to keep the temperatures down.

• Forum Superhero
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 10m 25d

It's a good idea, but you must be careful as much as your brakes can get too hot, they also need to ensure they get hot enough.

For standard pads in the T it should be ok, however if you start upgrading your braking package consult someone in the know, as if they do not get hot enough, it can have an adverse effect, this will result in increased brake wear on both pads and disks as well as not optimising the brakes in general.

You would be surprised how much development and research goes into the brake side of things. Unfortunately it's not neccessarily the more air the better.

Not to put an dampner on your idea, I think it's great, it's just another side of the equation that you must consider. :msm:

• In Your Face
  • Member For: 21y 7m 13d

Trent.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have to excuse Fraggle, he's from Tasmania you know...

:msm: :o :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So your saying the second head is wrong :msm: :lol: :spoton:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 25d

Trent.

You have to excuse Fraggle, he's from Tasmania you know...

:spoton::huh: :D

So your saying the second head is wrong :pinch: :lol: :pinch:

Only if it doesn't have the ability to hang over a trough....... :pinch: