Running In

Mondie

How did you run in your car? Are you having trouble?  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 2 months later...
  • Member For: 15y 10m 4d

Hey all

I have just had an engine built for my ute and the engine builder who built it said you should never idle your engine for to long due to your doing damage that's why turbo timers are a bad idea, reason being if I understand it correctly, when your car idles everything is loose inside, the bearing etc which means they are not under load which reduces the life of your engine.......when I had the new engine put in I was told to drive it like I would drive any vehicle due to your running the engine in the way u drive it, none of this hold it at certain speeds or gears nonsense. So far car has been running sweet no dramas, and will hopfully this month have the finall tuning done with max boost etc (not tuned to max due to dyno braking).

• 4 months later...
  • Member For: 13y 11m 15d

hi guys

im set to pick up my 50th xr6 turbo this friday and wanted to know how to run in a new engine. ive never owned a new car so this will be my first run-in

I've been reading around the net and most say to run it hard but I have a few questions like: oil change at what kms, semi synth?, brand of oil, etc

and pretty much the dos and don'ts with a new xr6 turbo

I found this link on the net: Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

seems pretty good but I'd like to know first hand experiences, what brand oil you used, how hard to push it, how far to push it without overdoing it(whats the limit), etc.

Edited by Viper XR50T

• My new toy
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 4m 30d

as these motors are run in the factory before fitment run is not that important just drive it normally just remeber to not labour the motor.

If it is an auto that is not a probelm in a manuel just dont use a to high of gear.

As for oil change I would do at 1500km first using agood brand of synthetic oil and new filter I use penrite.

Change oil every 5000 ks also use 10w40 or 15w40 as with turbos anythinner is to thin when they get hot.

Ian

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 8m 3d

:buttrock:

basically, make sure it's warm and then thrash the f*ck out of it, but just go easy on the RPM for the first couple 100 kms. I'd use cheap mineral oil for the first 1500km to bed the rings in properly, then the BEST quality synthetic you can get...

• It's not a MKI!
  • Member For: 16y 3m 2d

I wouldn't recommend a full synthetic or semi synthetic for at least the first 5000kms.

And you should not even contemplate the SIN 0 oil. Stick with the SIN 15 and you shouldn't have a drama.