Running In

Mondie

How did you run in your car? Are you having trouble?  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Member For: 21y 6m 1d

The turbo I took very easily running in and had no drivetrain issues at all in 27,000k's, power just got better the longer I had it. The GT I followed FPV's recommended procedure as best as you can with an Auto and speed limit restrictions, and although it seemed tight the first 5-8 thousand, since then and giving it some firm runs has seen excellent seat of pants gains in power and response, easily would outrun my stock Xr6t. No issues at all after 12,500k's unless you call the dreaded console hinge noise an issue

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 1m 26d
The turbo I took very easily running in and had no drivetrain issues ............. power just got better the longer I had it.

Ditto

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 5d

I subscribe to the theory "drive it like you stole it"

My driveline shunt started 5mins after I left the dealer, so I had nothing to do with causing that.

The car has good power 184rwkw with 2,500km on the clock, but now it has 6,000km on the clock it feels even better. Run it in anyway you want, gone are the days of "running in" cars like we used to have to do. Cars are reved to redline and thrashed while still on the production line. Ford need to make sure they do not go boom once we get them. :kissmy:

• Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 11m 9d

Dave, none of these cars have been around long enough for anyone to say with certainty.

Until the car has travelled at least 200,000km there shouldn't be any issues with the engine, even with poor running-in technique. Very few people will keep their cars long enough to know, although any tell-tale signs of blue smoke from the exhaust at start-up will indicate a prematurely wearing engine and this can start from 60,000km onwards.

There have been build quality issues with the BAs and any engine that has failed is probably due to that OR the addition of excessive mods. I mean like pushing 12 psi and using standard valve springs/conrods, that type of thing.

• The Bionic Man - half man-half titanium
  • Member For: 21y 5m 10d

The car has to be driven hard to get good power out of it

Drive it like and old molls car and it will stay like that

There is a big difference though between driving a car hard and flogging a car

Flogging a car means you don't care about and it and don't check the temp, fluids or tyre pressures

• Seriously Flukey Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 5m 29d

Like most, reasonable amount of right-foot when running in but nothing near a flogging. The only issue with my gem of a motor vehicle is creaking in the front end which will be rectified in a week or two at the 15K service. All smiles here and I think the power I have (especially now its cold) for an auto is brilliant.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 30d

Well call me a *beep* always let it warm up, didnt give it stick till after 1000k`s on the clock, never abuse it. Look more for quick acceleration than chucking burn outs.

I dont like drive it like you stole as I intend to keep the car for a while.Absolutely no issues (knock on wood) 13000k`s on the clock.

regards

Stang

For the record my ed falcon I gave to my father inlaw the only thing I replaced in 9 years was the battery twice and an xr6 exhaust system.