Running In

Mondie

How did you run in your car? Are you having trouble?  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 1 year later...
  • Member For: 17y 3m 8d

Hey everyone!

Pick up my new ute towards the end of this week!

How many k's do you all recomend to do before driving it how its meant to be driven?

I know with technology now days it could be a little different to older vehicles.

So just not sure.

Thanks PAUL..

• Formerly Turbo6
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 8m 13d

Mate, just don't rev it over 4500rpm for a few hundred kays, and then give it some. I would tend to stay away from bouncing off the rev limiter for at least a thousand.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member For: 17y 2m 28d

I've been reading a bunch of old threads on what oils to run etc.

The common thread is use synthetics for better engine life - which I tend to agree with if you follow Fords service schedule.

However there is a bunch of people that have said 'don't use synthetic oils for the first X kms as mineral oils help the engine bed in better.

Most manufacters stick a light 'running in oil' into the engine at the factory which is then replaced with a decent oil at the first change. This makes sence as the engine needs to bed in rings etc.

What doesn't make sence is the sentance above, once you drop the running in oil it shouldn't matter which type (synthetic or mineral) of oil you put in (as long as they are both similar quality).

I'm no lubrication engineer, but I am a chemist and as far as I can tell the lubrication propertys of good quality mineral oils are pretty much on par with synthetics, the advantage of synthetics is that they can stand higher temperatures and pressures for longer periods of time before breaking down.

So I'm wondering where this 'use mineral oils for first x km then switch to synthetic' theory came from and if anyone actualy has any basis for it (other then the usual 'my mates, sisters, mechanics, pool cleaners, terminaly ill gay lover said to') ?