Running In

Mondie

How did you run in your car? Are you having trouble?  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Member For: 17y 11m 28d

They are genuine responses. You do not baby brand new engines, you don't have to go fast go slow go fast go slow. Things have come a long way since those days.

No difference between giving it stick now and in a few months, dropping 3rd isn't hooning either :P

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 2m 27d

Alternate your revs on the freeway, and dont idle for long periods, and I wouldnt revlimit it straight up......first 400kms dont go past 4k, next 400 goto 4500rpm, it will slowly loosen the motor up and so forth.

• Member For: 15y 8m 19d

Thanks xr6t_ute. Sounds like the right way to go about it. When you say alternate revs, would it be beneficial to run in 5th for an hour, switch to 6th, and alternate between this and speed (110-130km/h) to change the rev range it runs at?

South, can definitely understand, but I assume the last thing you want to do with a brand new car is rev it all the way up to 8,000 revs every single chance you get, right? You shouldn't be doing that even with an older car.. *shrugs*

Also, since the Supercharger doesn't have an intercooler or the like (can this be added? any benefit adding an intercooler for the S/C?), is it the same as a turbo where you want to idle it for a few minutes after a long and/or heavy acceleration to cool down the oil (turbo timer, etc)? I've never owned nor driven an S/C car..

Edited by Arkayne

• Member For: 15y 8m 19d

I doubt I'll be doing constant 1,300km runs in the car, which is why my question still stands.. Yes, if the car was around town, I would definitely give it a nice acceleration now and then, but because it's driving a 1,300km run, I was wondering what would be the best way to do it...

• Tampon inserted, Auto Acquired, next purchase a new handbag
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 6m 1d

Intercooler kits are already in production I've heard.

I don't believe you have to run it in the way xr6t utes described. If you have 13 hours to drive go for it, it won't hurt. But it seems pretty unnecessary. It's not straight from an engine builder. Look at the demo, that would hit limiter every 10-20kms and will probably run up more rwkw than one that's been babyied ridiculously.(or so the rumpled have it).

• Member For: 21y 1m 15d

The way I ran my FG in was to not drive at the same revs for lengthy periods, don't redline or rev limit the engine but make sure you exercise the it with good squirts of acceleration now and then. Just exercise the car and use it's potential without leaning on it too hard. Everyone seems to have there own methods and all the cars I've owned have seemed happy with my approach so I'll keep using it.

Enjoy the new ride.

Benny

• Member For: 16y 4m 3d

I agree with Benny,

When I picked up my 1st t it already had 7thou on the clock so I didnt worry too much

but after picking up the new 1, demo only had 50km's on the clock u can

definately feel the difference in the engine and the way it picked up felt

tight and not really wanting to unleash but the drive back from melbourne to syd

every 20-30kms I gave it a bit nothing over 4500rpm though and the way it

accelerates now compared to the old fg is very noticeable and seems to pull

harder I think anyway, but yea what Benny said I think.

Nat

• You are a dead set goose
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 22d

Couldn't be bothered reading the other posts, but hold the gear to certain revs and let the engine coast the revs back down. Try and do it up hills too. It helps the ring seals bed in. Don't go over 5000revs within the first 1000 k's at least, then once you hit 4000-5000k's drive it like you stole it from the cop in Terminator 2.

There's a good write up about it somewhere... Oh here it is: Engine break in secrets

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 7d

Mate drive I like you would normally, just do not bounce of the rev limiter for the first 5,000km.

When Ford make them, the end of the line is a dyno that they take the car through the gears to redline.

I left 2 black stripes out of the dealer when I got mine and have always driven them hard fromt he get go.