Beware Car Bras!

Paradoxx

• Colossal Member
  • Member For: 20y 2m 2d

I purchased a Car Bra a couple of months ago when I was in Melbourne so I could drive to perth and not have to worry about stone chips etc. I fitted it in accordance with the destructions, it fitted well and didnt move around at all. About half way across the nullabor I heard tapping on the side of the car. I had nowhere to pull over safely so I drove like this for about 20 minutes before I found somewhere. Getting out of the car I notice that the right hand side of the car where the car bra hooks into the wheel arch it had come loose and was basically flapping in the breeze. Upon closer inspection I noticed it had actually torn from a couple of the bracket points, making it slacken off and unhook on that side...

damage01.jpg

damage02.jpg

The felt around the brackets had worn through exposing bare alluminium which was hitting against the side of my car (bumper). This is what happened...

damage04.jpg

damage06.jpg

On the up side, the manufacturer has agreed to fix my car and refund the car bra. Good thing really, otherwise I would be $200 out of pocked for a defective car bra and $400 out of pocket to fix the car. Just thought it would be best to notify the XR community of the risk of using a car bra on your car. :)

Happy hooning.

Edited by Paradoxx

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 8m 29d

I have never liked or used a car bra, I have heard too many bad stories about them. Thanks for reminding me why I don't use one.

I am about to do the same trip as you, Melbourne to Perth, I will get a bonnet protector to go with my headlight protectors and mud spats, hopefully the car won't get too stone chipped.

• Colossal Member
  • Member For: 20y 2m 2d

After taking off the car bra I hardly got any chips at all. Just dont sit too close to any trucks for too long and dont drive after about 5pm unless you want to fashion a roo or family of emus to the front of your car.

If you are really worried get some clear contact and put it on the front, it doesnt affect your paint and doesnt leave any residue behind when you pull it off.

• Member For: 20y 7m 27d

Yeah I used a car bra on a drive from Sydney to Adelaide. Never again. It must have been moving around on the front of the car because it scratched the corners of the bumper pretty bad. I'm glad that I had the headlight protectors on- but that resulted in them getting scratched too.

Hopefully the bumper scratches will buff out.

:crybaby:

Anthony.

• Member For: 20y 11m
If you are really worried get some clear contact and put it on the front, it doesnt affect your paint and doesnt leave any residue behind when you pull it off.

Do you mean the clear contact from coles/Kmart or are you talking about the 3M product ?