APS Phase 2 kit now $4400.00 fitted

Guest Simonxr6t

• Site protagonist
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 4m 7d

More power is addictive.

The mods I had on my old car were great and still are the best bang for your buck mods in the country. For about $3500 spent on the engine I had 280rwkw's and a 1/4 mile of 12.2.

My next level of mods were going to be expensive though. I would have had to upgrade rods, valvesprings and intercooler. For these 3 mods I wouldn't have got any change out of $10000.

In my opinion if you want moderate increases in power you will need to do the following.

1) Increase airflow into the engine- do this by adding a second intake and a good BMC or K&N filter. There are many ways of getting a second intake or enlarging the original.

2) Make the exhaust less restrictive- There are different options use the one that suits your needs.

3) Some sort of "chip"- this could be Xede, unichip or one of the many other new chips out there. Do your own research and make sure your not buying crap. I'd stick to the 2 known chips until the rest have proven themselves.

4) Larger injectors- The concensus now is that the Bosch 968 injector is the best way to go in this regard.

5) Larger fuel pump- The original pump is good for upto about 250rwkw's. Though even at these levels you need to be careful as it will deteriate over time. I'd suggest upgrading the pump at the same time as the injectors for piece of mind. I like the larger intank pump but many lin\ke the inline pump.

This is the level my old car was at. The next restriction was the valve springs with the rods not far behind. These mods had my car at 281rwkw's and 12.2 1/4 mile.

6) Valve springs- These need replacing at different levels as each set is different. Some will need replacing at 7psi and some at 12psi. There are many different ways to go with valve springs with the XR8 and nizpro being the favored options.

7) Rods - There are various thoughts on when to do the rods. Between 280-330rwkw's depending on who's telling you. I wouldn't have gone over 280ish while many have gone well into the 300's. I don't know which rods are best, probably best to ask your engine builder and get a second opinion on rods and price. Some will also suggest doing the pistons now too. I'd get more expert advice on this and go with what you feel.

I think that anythink over 240rwkw's will need work done to the auto. A simple mod should surfice upto 250rwkw's but if you intend to go further I'd get more mods done to the auto for piece of mind.

I dont know much on the manual and clutch side of things.

There are many threads on the various mods described here I'll help if I can.

Geea. :banghead:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 21y 6m 5d
I dont know much on the manual and clutch side of things.

The stock clutch is not a happy little camper at phase 1 ...It will live if you ease in the power but will slip if you boot it ...minimum clutch upgrade would be a pressure plate with a increased clamp pressure..

• Member For: 20y 1m 8d

Thaks mate for the clarification :)

APS has always sold directly to retail consumers (in house fitments) so I don't understand how these silly rumors get started.

APS dealers are appointed to resell product to their customers and there are certain commercial and technical conditions that all APS dealers must meet.

Mention of an $8000 fee is plain wrong..............APS is far more concerned about the dealers ability to provide excellent workmanship and customer service. :spoton:

Peter

APS

Edited by Turbo6i

• Team Bute
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 2m 4d
Another question for APS....

Should the auto be "done" as a part of a Phase II package?

Or is the auto considered OK with a motor churning out 330kw?

I'd do the auto on any modified T.

My car has done 15000km, and has been literally driven by an old man.

I do NOT abuse my vehicles. Quite a few people have had issues with "flaring" on hard accelleration runs..... especially into 3rd gear

I have the ute trans in pieces now, in preparation for APS Ph 2 mods.

I dropped in yesterday at workshop to see how things are going.......

Shock of the day was seeing that the bands were already showing visible signs of wear. And that is on a stock engine! After only 15000 km.

Hanging out till Friday to pick up car and check out trans mods..... :spoton:

Hanging out even more for power upgrade shortly after. :blush::glad:

• Member For: 21y 1m 27d

Of course your ability to get one of the new Phase II kits installed at the moment will probably be quite limited...

APS retailers will probably have existing stock of the old Phase II kits, which they have purchased (and paid for), and no-doubt will want (need) to move these on before they start to stock up on the new (cheaper) Phase II kits.

(I'm not having a go at anyone, just thought I should make the realities completely obvious...)

I wonder where this leaves APS retailers ? I mean they paid $XXX for their Phase II kits with the fuel pump, and now APS are promoting the new Phase II for $1000 less...

If I was a customer, then I'd want it at the new price, if I'm a retailer, do I have to take a $1000 loss on the older stock ?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 10m 23d

I'd want it with the fuel pump. Not modifying the exhaust including cat with over 280rwkw is probably very dangerous for the engine. If you're looking at that power level go the whole way and don't try to cheaply get there with inferior mods

• Member For: 21y 6m 12d
Sounds bloody good to me peter....

The money I'll save at this stage will cover the cost of the George Benson Concert in Melbourne AND the Lion King Show in Sydney...

These were the sweeteners I had to pull out to pacify the wife when she found out about the install scheduled next month.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

great stuff.

Can't wait.

:spoton:

OK it's great to know that you're excited with new APS Phase II system.........at APS is all about delivering the best possible performance and drivability whilst keeping the product very affordable for our customer base. :crybaby:

I believe that when you consider the entire content of the phase II system it's difficult to imagine any better value for money being possible.............this has always been our goal...............that's to deliver awesome torque and power with extremely high quality engineered componenets.

Peter

APS

Another question for APS....

Should the auto be "done" as a part of a Phase II package?

Or is the auto considered OK with a motor churning out 330kw?

I would say a definite Yes to that question as there has been many STOCK XR6T's which have experienced auto trans problems over the last 6 months or so.

It's high torque at low rpm which the auto trans really struggles to cope with and the addition of a large auto trans cooler would also be a very worthwhile investment. :crybaby:

Peter

APS

Well done APS :w00t2:

Yet again showing why you are the market leaders in XR6T modifications :spoton:

Thanks for your kind words of support...........APS will always continue to strive and to develop the best performance products possible to suit the T..........with excellent bang for buck being a high priority whilst maintaining high quality engineered components. :spoton:

Peter

APS