Diff whine momentary @ 100kph

oldfart

• Inactive Members
  • Member For: 20y 5m

My xr6t ute (auto) has a momentary diff whine @ 100 kmh, it is a 6/03 build, first registered 4/04, now has 3000k's. The local dealer says that a batch of LSD's had the gears cut at the wrong angle and a new diff is on the way. First time Ive ever had a warranty problem rectified without the screaming and yelling.

I think someone mentioned the diff problem before on this site.

The ute sat in a Sydney car yard for 3 months with 959k's on the clock following a country dealer repossesion (they delivered the ute and then the finance fell through), I offered $33k and they said yes, obviously due to BA MkII coming and Harvest Green colour, rare case of right place right time.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 10m 1d

I don't think it's a bad colour at all!! Citric Acid was still a pretty 'controversial' colour when I ordered it (07/03), but it's certainly more popular now!

Anyways, I have a diff whine pretty much all the time when cruising (manual). Whenever I take my foot off the accelerator, the whine disappears.

Is this due to a diff problem? My ED Falcon sedan did the same thing, as do pretty much all Falcon-based taxis. I know it's ordinary to let something like that just slide under the radar, but I thought it was "just a Falcon thing"...?! :spoton:

Can anyone offer advice contrary to this? (Sorry to start this up in a new thread if it's already been covered elsewhere. Feel free to point me to the thread if it has!)

• zeke
  • Member For: 21y 2m 29d

Yeah - mine does it at 95 to 100kph....been like that since new. I've kept an eye on the diff threads and the collective wisdom seems to be to wait for a definitive fix if it's not a major problem ( I'm usually travelling slower or faster than that).

I'd hate to get it changed and end up with one that's just as bad.....or worse!

• Member For: 21y 11m 8d

I've had 2 diffs now, both whined. They start off at 90-100 but as time goes by it happens at almost all speeds, but mine was as accelerator was taken off and the car was coasting. I got the 2nd diff rebuilt at a diff place, and the whine came back so it may be the parts that are faulty. They never did get the clunking though

• I see red
  • Member For: 21y 9m 2d

Check your tyres, I thought my diff was doing the same and then I bought new wheels and tyres and noise stopped! The original Dunlops SP9000s weren't worn out, maybe 1/2 worn a little more on the edges.

Guest cul08r
  • Guests

I had diff wine in my car, and the diff was replaced at 35,000ks. Same symptoms as all of you have described.

That's when all of my suspension problems started...

Andrew

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 10m 1d
Check your tyres, I thought my diff was doing the same and then I bought new wheels and tyres and noise stopped! The original Dunlops SP9000s weren't worn out, maybe 1/2 worn a little more on the edges.

Definitely not my tyres. Whine stops when foot is off the accelerator. Same speed. Same sound.