drastic loss of power with bad missing

profrat

• Member For: 21y 3m 22d

Saw a thread that described this condition but not what the problem was or how it was resolved.

The whole story:

First time my wife drove our 'T' she came back saying that it had 'gone all haywire', hesitating and bucking. She :unsure: herself, stopped, and turned it off. Gathering courage she started it again , only to find all seemed normal. I was at a loss to understand what had happened from her description but reported it when I booked it in for (15,000k) service. A few days later I came out of a shop and started the car. It was reluctant to start and when it kicked over it was missing something shocking. Like running on 4 cylinders. Since I was 200m from the Ford dealer I gently drove straight there. Like a fool I swiched it off while I went into the office. When we returned the bloody thing started and ran perfectly. The dealer siad they would check it out and after the service they said they had 'reflashed' the computer with an update that should fix the problem.

That was Friday.

Drove to Mt Hotham Friday night. All was well.

Coming home Sunday night I was having a bit of a 'go' through some windy bits when she suddenly lost power at about 3000RPM in 3rd. I instantly backed off and gingerly squeezed the pedal again. Missing like on 4 cylinders again.

I swiched it off and then on and all was well again.

5 kays up the road, same thing. This time it self corrected after I coasted off the throttle for 30 seconds or so. It happened once or twice more under similar circumstances, accelerating away from a corner. I was starting to think I might have a fuel pickup problem, but it didn't quite fit.

Then the final time I was cruising in 5th up a gentle hill at 80 kays. Pulled out to pass a truck with a gentle squeeze on the pedal and 'WHAM' it happened AGAIN. No revs and no real load this time on a straight road. This time I had to turn the key off and on again to fix it. After that it was all flat running on the highway on the cruse control. No more problems.

Does this sound familiar to anyone and do you know what it is and what the fix is? The fix is obviously not just to reflash the computer.

Manual 'T'. 18,000 kays. Into the dealer first thing Monday morning!!!

Cheers, Professor Ratbaggy

Edited by profrat

Ive had similar but only on startup 100 meters down the road,3 times now,ford cant find the fault.

That sounds bloody dangerous,not roadworthy in my book!

Get something in writing so you can stick it up em when you have your prang

Have you got side air bags ?

Surley consumer affairs would be interested.maby we could start something on here.

vik

• Upstanding Member
  • Member For: 21y 1m 18d

Yup - Mine started doing this after a re-flash of the ECU which was supposed to fix gearbox weirdness.

So far no fix, it's booked in again today but as my diff has turned up I doubt they'll get enough time to chase and fix the actual glitch that's annoying me the most.

A.

• Member For: 21y 2m 4d

Yep! Sound like the same problem I had and the same fixes that they told me! Untill one day it was doing it as I left work, so I hobbled it straight to the service dept (only about 100m down the road). Spoke to a guy there who also had a 'T' and he sugested it was a 'Potentiometer' problem. Anyway I booked it in they checked it out and it was the Potentiometer on the throttle body. As it is a drive by wire system you have one on the throttle body and one on the peddle. These are some sort of sensor and if one plays up well there you go too much fuel or not enough. Funny thing is it has never happened since the Potentiometer on the throttle body was replaced unlike the Reflash and I am now getting better fuel economy aswell!

Thanks Guys.

Vic 351: Gave me bit of a fright. Not a good thing to happen when you pull out to overtake. :spoton:

Arronmihe:Let us know what happens mate.

Sykes: Hmmm!! The goodbit of info my wife gave me was that the Throttle Fault Light went on. I didn't notice it last night but that sounds just like it could be my problem to. I will tell them when I take it in. Thanks.

Cheers, Prof.

Thanks Guys.

Vic 351: Gave me bit of a fright. Not a good thing to happen when you pull out to overtake. :spoton:

Arronmihe:Let us know what happens mate.

Sykes: Hmmm!! The goodbit of info my wife gave me was that the Throttle Fault Light went on. I didn't notice it last night but that sounds just like it could be my problem to. I will tell them when I take it in. Thanks.

Cheers, Prof.

Imagine going to workas a rep on the road all day,boss gives you a car ,oh by the way, it konks out when overtaking so be carefull..you just have to turn it off then on again,youll be right mate,and dont be late!

Would you drive this car for work???? I dont think so..Its not fit for purpose,but with ford it seems to be ok.WHY ????

vik

Guest Modi
  • Guests

I had something similar happen when I was getting up the T. Just under 4000 revs it had a big power cut and started running like a dog. I let it coast for about 10 seconds and it came good again. not long after it went in for its first service and the mechanic said the ecu had logged an overboost. So I reckon that must have been when it happened. Engine overboosts and goes into limp mode.

Just come back from the Ford dealer. The sevice manager listened to the description and said 'it sounds just like a VCT problem'.

Apparently, if a very small obstruction in the oil gets in the sensor it can upset the VCT and cause it to cut out cylinders. It seemed like he had experienced it before. He said they would clean it out and it should be alright. It might even clear itself up before they can get to it next week. He said a throttle fault would show up as a fault code and there were none. But VCT is oil pressure driven, not electronic, so there are no computer faults to show up. That all seems to make sense and to fit the symptoms so we will see what happens. Can't take it in next week though as we are on holidays. He says it usually comes good when the obsruction (which can be minute) moves, and the worst case is that it stays put and you are stuck with the rough running and miss. Hope that doesn't happen on the Holiday. :spoton:

What sort of booking wait do y'all experience. They seem to be booked up about a week in advance here.

Sykes: Maybe this was your problem too and the blockage cleared itself by chance. Then again, maybe it was the throttle thing anyway. Hope so. Wouldn't wish it to come back on you.

Cheers, Prof

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 9m 2d
Just come back from the Ford dealer. The sevice manager listened to the description and said 'it sounds just like a VCT problem'.

Apparently, if a very small obstruction in the oil gets in the sensor it can upset the VCT and cause it to cut out cylinders. It seemed like he had experienced it before. He said they would clean it out and it should be alright. It might even clear itself up before they can get to it next week. He said a throttle fault would show up as a fault code and there were none. But VCT is oil pressure driven, not electronic, so there are no computer faults to show up. That all seems to make sense and to fit the symptoms so we will see what happens. Can't take it in next week though as we are on holidays. He says it usually comes good when the obsruction (which can be minute) moves, and the worst case is that it stays put and you are stuck with the rough running and miss. Hope that doesn't happen on the Holiday. :spoton:

What sort of booking wait do y'all experience. They seem to be booked up about a week in advance here.

Sykes: Maybe this was your problem too and the blockage cleared itself by chance. Then again, maybe it was the throttle thing anyway. Hope so. Wouldn't wish it to come back on you.

Cheers, Prof

Just a question what kind of oil are you guys running?